The 3rd International University Cities Forum was held on November 28-30, 2018. The Forum was organized by the Center for Research “Transsiberian Scientific Way” (TSSW), National Research Tomsk State University, with the support of the Administration of the Tomsk region, the Tomsk Mayor’s office, Campus France, the Alliance Française-Novosibirsk, the French Embassy in Russia, the DAAD, the German Consulate General in Siberia, the Association of Bavarian Universities BAYHOST.
It was also supported by the Office of the Plenipotentiary Representative of the President of the Russian Federation in the Siberian Federal District. The Third Forum is included in the agenda of the French-Russian Trianon dialogue.
The topic of the Third Forum is “University and city in the era of global challenges”. There are 4 tracks in frame of Forum:
- ‘University and global social changes’
- ‘University in urban ecosystem’
- International transdisciplinary reseach and practice online conference ‘Digital place brand management: global and local aspects’
- International student event ‘UNI4CITY’
Within the framework of the Third University Cities Forum, the participants discussed:
- New concepts of management and use of urban infrastructure, designed to disclosure of the competitive and innovative potential of the city;
- Human capital development issues and the role of research universities in the implementation of the “smart city” concept;
- Ways of digital transformation and formation of the intellectual urban ecosystem.
Besides, the representatives of the academic community, business and local authorities analyzed the effective cases of interaction of human and technology, as well as the difficulties of implementing the triple and quadruple helix models in university cities. Finally, the participants exchanged views on the openness of the university and intercultural communications in the era of terrorist threats, the place of intangible heritage in building the image of ‘future city’ and the way to create comfortable accessible urban environment for students.
Within the framework of the Forum, the International student event «UNI4CITY» worked. This event was designed to involve young people in solving actual problems of urban development. Teamwork was organized and aimed at the joint development of strategically significant directions of university cities’ development.